While winter seems like it’s already been around for way too long, its influence on our heating bill is just beginning. Keeping energy costs low during the coldest months of the year can be tough, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to help reduce those costs. That’s why we’ve jotted down a few furnace tips to help keep heating bills from skyrocketing.
To start controlling your heating bills and increasing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open during the warmest parts of the day to let sunlight in, warming your home naturally.
- Sealing leaks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Installing a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also improve energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every three months.
- Inspecting your heating vents to make sure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Adding insulation to your attic to keep heat from escaping.
- Checking your roof to make sure your shingles are intact, and that there are no holes or areas that need to be sealed.
Attempting to keep your energy bills to a minimum and energy efficiency at a maximum, is a year-round battle, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions regarding the tips above or questions about how you can lower your heating bills, give us a call at 715-301-0256. Our experts are here to help make sure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Wisconsin Rapids weather.