Summer weather in Wisconsin Rapids can be a bear. But you don’t have to choose between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility expenses. We’ve put together some tips to make it easy.
The greatest thing you can do to stay cool and maintain energy efficiency is by tending to your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® says keeping your system operating reliably and efficiently, and Rapids Sheet Metal Works Inc is here to assist. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll perform the following tasks suggested by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to be sure there’s safe operation of your system and the chance of a longer lifespan for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as required. Dirty coils require your system to operate longer to do its job.
- Check system controls to be sure of correct and safe operation.
- Check refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to assure accurate system airflow.
Another key to remaining cool is consistently inspecting your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter can increase energy costs and damage your equipment, leading to untimely failure. Our Rapids Sheet Metal Works Inc experts will look at these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations to set up your own schedule to switch them out.
Here are a few other tips to keep your home comfortable and energy-efficient:
- Check thermostat settings to ensure your air conditioner keeps you comfortable when you are home and saves energy while you are away.
- If you find yourself cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let nature cool your house for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to hold on to the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Take advantage of fans. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a little higher than you normally would without feeling any changes in your comfort level.
- Another style of fan people routinely forget about when they’re working to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Be sure to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to get rid of the heat and humidity from your house.
- Avoid leaving lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven put heat into your home, but even normal activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can increase the heat in your home.
If you’d like additional ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give Rapids Sheet Metal Works Inc at call at 715-301-0256 or request an appointment with us online.