You’re in the middle of the coldest week of winter and you wake up shaking in a pile of blankets in bed. Your first thought is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to leave yourself in a situation like this where it feels like you’re doomed to suffer until morning to set up furnace repair, but there are a couple things you can inspect, as well as a handful of things you can do, to stay ready and prep for a scenario like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Cold nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you avert a chilly morning.
- Pull together supplies. Create some room in a closet, drawer or another handy area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warmed up while your furnace is out. It could seem annoying or unnecessary now, but it will come in handy when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Working:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace might have been tripped by a power surge or for some other reason. If this occurs, switch the breaker back on and you may be set. If the breaker is tripped and you have turned it back on but your furnace still isn’t working, give us a call to set up an appointment for furnace repair.
- Layer up and get cozy. That load of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you keep your body heat so you can stay warm while waiting for your technician. Also, try to find something active to do to keep your blood pumping, as elevated activity can help keep you comfortable.
- Stay safe. Using something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose potential danger depending on the method you’re using. It’s important to remember to never use heating methods created for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use another method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your best bets.
No one wants to put up with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has quit running, but the possibility is real if you don’t take the proper steps. Give the experts at Rapids Sheet Metal Works Inc a call at 715-301-0256 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services available or any other number of heating questions.